All excerpts are quoted from the respective link(s).
- Visual Literacy: An E-Learning Tutorial on Visualization for Communication, Engineering and Business – The Visual-Literacy.org e-learning course will be used as an online leveling course as well as a blended skill-building course for students of fourteen different university courses in four universities (for more than 500 students). These courses require advanced analytical and conceptual visualization skills in order to transform abstract thought efficiently into graphic, tangible forms and to manage the topic complexity and the problems addressed in each class.
- Think Progress » REPORT: At Least 40 GOP Lawmakers Fail A Principle Of The ‘Purity Test’ – [The] resolution, if adopted, would boot key Republican candidates running for the Senate next year. National Republicans recruited Rep. Mark Kirk (R-IL) and Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE) to run for the Senate, even though they have bucked conservative orthodoxy in the past.
ThinkProgress has conducted an analysis that finds at least 40 current Republican members of Congress have violated at least one principle of the purity test[.]
- Baltimore City Paper: Crash Course: The Maryland Millionaire Count, Tax Scams, and Train Wrecks – In a capitalist system, investors make money not despite hiring workers, but because they hire workers who, if they are adequately managed, create value in excess of the wages and benefits they are paid. This value is called "profit," and the business' owner gets to keep that, after paying taxes.
In a properly functioning capitalist economy, rich people don't "create jobs" for workers; workers, upon having jobs, create rich people.
That's how the system works, in theory.
- Report Says Police and Catholic Church Hid Abuse in Dublin – NYTimes.com – But rather than helping the victims, the church was concerned only with “the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the church, and the preservation of its assets,” said the 700-page report, prepared by a group appointed by the Irish government and called the Commission of Investigation Into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin.
- The Origin of Big | The Loom | Discover Magazine – If the scientists are right, they may have discovered one of the big ironies in evolution. Lunge-feeding may have allowed whales to become the biggest animals ever to roam the planet. But this was not an open-ended invitation.r. Once whales got large enough, lunge feeding itself became so costly it prevented them from getting any bigger. Perhaps some day another animal will evolve a new strategy that will let it get even bigger than a blue whale. But for the animal kingdom as we know it, we may be sharing the planet with the biggest species it can offer.
Tags: abuse, America, analysis, biology, blog, Business, capitalism, catholic, Daily Links, design, Dublin, Economics, economy, Education, evolution, infographics, informationdesign, investigation, Ireland, literacy, money, moodle, nature, pedophilia, physics, policy, political, Politicking, presentation, priests, purge, Purity, Republican, RNC, scandal, science, sustainability, thinkprogress, visualization, webdesign, whales