- The Washington Monthly: John Didn’t Get What He Wanted – John didn't get what he wanted. Right. He could have waited to make his decision until after Palin had been thoroughly vetted. That, however, would have meant giving up his clever idea of announcing his VP pick the day after Obama's convention speech. Alternately, he could have gone with one of the people who had been thoroughly vetted: Pawlenty, for instance. But "neither was the transformative, attention-grabbing choice Mr. McCain felt he needed, top campaign advisers said". So he decided to gamble it all on someone he barely knew and had not vetted.
- ABC News: ‘October Surprise’ Over Palin Investigation? – The Alaska state senator running an investigation of Gov. Palin says the McCain campaign is using stall tactics to prevent him from releasing his final report by Oct. 31, four days before the November election.
- Google Chrome – Google Book Search – The comicbook introducing Chrome.
- Graphic Organizer Worksheets –
- 6 things the Palin pick says about McCain – Jim VandeHei and John F. Harris – Politico.com – The risks of a backlash from choosing someone so unknown and so untested are obvious. In one swift stroke, McCain demolished what had been one of his main arguments against Obama. “I think we’re going to have to examine our tag line, ‘dangerously inexperienced,’” a top McCain official said wryly.
- The Washington Monthly: The Right offers some Reviews –
- Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S. – NYTimes.com – [Now] the balance of power is shifting. Data is increasingly flowing around the United States, which may have intelligence — and conceivably military — consequences.
These are my links for August 12th through August 13th:
- Contrariwise: Literary Tattoos – Words – particularly from books – as bodyart.
- The Washington Monthly: The Burbs – Matt points us today to a discussion on the Freakonomics blog about the future of suburbia in the face of increasing gasoline prices. The consensus view is fairly grim, but it reminds me of a few random points about urban land use that have been on my mind for a while. There's no big overarching point here, and nothing especially original, just a few thoughts that don't seem to get much attention in blogospheric discussions of the burbs.
- LOL Bush: The president at the Olympics | World news | guardian.co.uk – LOLCATS accompanies the Prez to the Olympics.
- The Washington Monthly – What this experiment revealed was that instead of a war-hungry public, Americans were evenly divided over whether to go to war — three in ten in favor, three in ten opposed, with a plurality willing to do whatever the political leaders thought best.
- LOLJohnMcCain –
- What if the Detroit 3 became 2? | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press – But a more persuasive reason to believe that General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC will avert Chapter 11 bankruptcy is the fallout that would decimate its component suppliers and spread chaos throughout the U.S. industrial base.
- Find movie filming locations and the places where movies have been made with The Movie Map –
- russia.gif (image) – If you are wondering what the Ossetia-Georgia-Russia thing is about, oil is a part of it…