All excerpts are quoted from the respective link(s).
- Researchers Say the Social Web Improves Kids’ Literacy (Geeks Say ‘Duh’) – According to a recent survey of around 3,000 kids, those who text, blog and use social sites such as Facebook have better writing skills than their less technologically inclined counterparts.
- WordPress 2.9 Packs in Loads of Features: Hands-on Review « Weblog Tools Collection – WordPress 2.9 beta 2 is out, and the final release of WordPress 2.9 should be out in a short time. However, not many of you might have tried out the beta or may be aware of the new functionalities that will be included in it.
Here is a hands-on review of WordPress 2.9 Beta 2. I try to showcase some of the most interesting features you can look forward to.
- Cellphone Use Does Not Cause Cancer – We Are Shocked – A new study from the Journal of the National Cancer Institute shows that in the 60,000 person pool of Northern Europeans watched, there was no data that pointed to a higher occurrence of brain cancers or other complications among cell phone users.
- The Happiness Project: Eight Tips to Know If You’re Being Boring. – But once you’re talking, how do you know if the other person is interested in your conversation – or not? One challenge is that the more socially adept a person is, the better he or she is at hiding boredom. It’s a rare person, however, who can truly look fascinated while bored.
Here are the factors I watch, when trying to figure out if I’m connecting with someone. These are utterly unscientific – I’m sure someone has made a proper study of this, but these are just my observations (mostly from noting how I behave when I’m bored and trying to hide it)
- How Trillion-Dollar Deficits Were Created – Interactive Graphic – NYTimes.com – To understand the looming deficits, The New York Times analyzed Congressional Budget Office projections of the budget surplus or deficit for the years 2009-12, President Obama’s current term. The budget office has been making estimates for these years for nearly a decade now. The numbers that appear below are the average annual deficit or surplus for this four-year period.
- social_media_roi.gif (GIF Image, 1162×1618 pixels) – An infographic detailing measurements for ROI for social media.
- 500 Internal Server Error – 500 Internal Server Error
- Hey, Philly: You’re bigger! | Philadelphia Daily News | 12/02/2009 – After decades of population loss, the city has stopped shrinking, according to revised Census Bureau estimates delivered to the city earlier this week.