All excerpts are quoted from the respective link(s).
- Trendsmap – Real-time local Twitter trends – Trendsmap.com is a real-time mapping of Twitter trends across the world. See what the global, collective mass of humanity are discussing right now.
- Ryan Sager – Neuroworld – The Tortured Brain – True/Slant – Professor Shane O’Mara, of the Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience in Dublin, Ireland, did not examine the brains of victims of American torture. But he analyzes the likely effects of torture on the brain, based on the vast existing literature on the effects of extreme stress on motivation, mood and memory, using both animals and humans.
He concludes, essentially, that torture is likely to destroy the very memories it’s trying to extract.
- TI Says Calculators Aren’t Dead Yet, Releases iPhone App – Texas Instruments today launched a calculator for the iPhone that will cost $14.99 and perform all the functions of its BAII financial calculator. The move is a watershed moment for this scion of high-end calculators (yes, I know about HP, but TI is in my home state and makes the products on which I learned), and possibly an admission that the future of the calculator as a standalone device in this age of smartphones may be limited.
- The Brain: Where Does Sex Live in the Brain? From Top to Bottom. | Sex & the Brain | DISCOVER Magazine – Neuroscientists explore the mind's sexual side and discover that desire is not quite what we thought it was.
- 10 Revealing Infographics about the Web – The use of graphics as a tool for educating viewers is a great approach to sharing information. It’s an effective way of composing otherwise boring information and data into an easy-to-consume and fascinating way.
In this article, you’ll discover a variety of infographics and visualizations associated with the internet. You might just learn a thing or two about the web by looking at these awesome artworks!
Tags: Apple, biology, brain, calculator, charts, cognition, convergence, Daily Links, data, design, infographic, information, Instruments, internet, iPhone, Local, Maps, Mashups, memory, neurology, neuroscience, Psychology, research, science, sex, social, socialmedia, socialnetworking, statistics, Texas, TI, torture, trendsmap, twitter, twittertools, Video, visualization